Thursday, January 31, 2013

Finally sent Kateri's story over to BeNotAfraid

It was 3 days before Hurricane Irene struck CT, in August of 2011 and I was waiting for my Ultrasound. I brought my oldest daughter with me because I wanted her to remember seeing the ultrasound, in the hopes that she would always remember that a child in the womb is a real baby. A person. The team was all familiar. There was the geneticist, who had tried to tell me to terminate my pregnancy with child number 4, just because I had a child with renal issues and didn't need anymore troubles. (My son's story is already on this website under kidney problems). This very sad looking woman remembered my as soon as she laid eyes on me. There was the US doctor, who had found reasons to suggest terminating baby number 6, but those “reasons” weren't real reasons. She just noticed an imperfection in that child’s' toes and a dimple in her back. And there was the US technician. She had joyfully done several other US for me. In the previous ones, she had talked non stop and was such a happy presence in the room. She started out bubbling along and talking to my daughter, Tara and then she became silent. I watched her go over and over the spine of the baby. She was pressing on my belly so hard, that I couldn't breathe and it hurt me and the baby. My daughter was kicking very violently in protest. The technicians silence became palpable, so much so that my daughter stopped talking and regressed into herself by pulling her sweater tightly around her stomach and slumping in the chair. I knew that something was wrong. I had been through this before 11 years earlier. That time so many years ago, another medical professional stopped talking and looked grim, I knew. Time became oppressive and I broke into a sweat because the prior experience reminded me that I would have to wait for the doctor to tell me what was wrong. The scan ended and she ushered my daughter out of the room to watch TV and shut the door and left me alone for a very long, long time. All I could do was pray. Jesus, Mary, Joseph give my family the courage and graces to handle whatever cross you give us and please give me the strength to be unwavering in the face of the stern and depressing eye of the doctor.

Upon entering the room, the doctor did not greet me but she did ask me how my son was doing. She remembered his diagnosis, most doctors do because his story is extensive. I replied that he was currently in the hospital at Boston Children's undergoing some treatment but was otherwise fine. Then she said, “Well the good news is that it isn't spina bifida but the bad news is that it is Sacrococcygeal teratoma and I recommend terminating immediately. We can set up the appointment for tomorrow at my office in New Haven.” What does one say to that?

I made it quite clear that abortion would never be an option but could she please explain this condition to me more thoroughly. Essentially, my daughter had a tumor-teratoma-growing at the bottom of her spine. It was whole and not leaking and was growing more externally and not interfering with the spine or urinary system. It could grow significantly and cause complications for both the mother and the baby. She went into great detail about how some mothers have died because the babies tumor requires such a massive blood supply but more often the babies die or experience organ failure for the same reason. She recommended terminating immediately and would not even allow me out of the room until an appointment was scheduled with her clinic in order for me to meet with one of her comrades at Yale. There are 3 things that she did not ever do during this discussion. She never acknowledged me as a person by shaking my hand or saying hello, she never acknowledged the baby, and she refused to write down the name of the syndrome so that I could find information about it outside of the Yale medical system. In fact, she only mentioned the name once. As the discussion wound down, I made it quite clear that our son was in Boston so we would only use doctors from Boston and I felt it a waste of time to set up an appointment with Yale. However, they insisted that if I didn't see a doctor tomorrow I might die or face catastrophic complications. I said thank you very much, scheduled the appointment, collected my daughter and left. As soon as I got home, I canceled the appointment because “of the impending hurricane.”

I spent the next 10 days dealing with Hurricane Irene and her aftereffects and then finally got around to calling Boston Children's Hospitals Advanced Fetal Care Center. The difference in diagnosis was shocking. The Boston team examined the US and didn't seem to be all that concerned. They felt that tumor was not going to be a problem to remove after birth and encouraged me not to worry about the rare events that sometimes occur with at teratoma. I met with the team a week later, and underwent more thorough scanning and felt relieved. The team acknowledged me and they acknowledged the humanity of my daughter. I remember the US technician telling me that she had the most beautiful arched feet. The surgeon, Dr. Buchmiller, is probably the most quietly serene and confidence inspiring doctor that I have ever met-and we have met a lot of doctors. Her predictions were completely accurate. She assumed that the tumor would grow quite large but remain whole, external and not bother the internal organs and that otherwise the pregnancy would go to 37 weeks or so. The surgery would be performed once the baby was stabilized and after 10 days we would all go home.

Well at 37 weeks, shortly after New Years, we took a long cold drive to Brigham and Women's Hospital to deliver our 7th child. I saw her for a second or 2 after delivery before they whisked her away next door to Children's Hospital to the NICU. Because I was a repeat C section it was a day before I could see her and try to nurse. But she was a champ and waited for me. For 2 days she underwent testing and more testing so that they could have the best possible knowledge of where the tumor was and how to plan the surgery. We spent those 2 days trying to decide on a name. Finally, we chose Kateri after Saint Kateri Tekakwitha, because she was so serene in the face of hunger (they never fed the poor baby but once) and chaos and because she would be scarred from infancy on.

The surgery went well and she left the hospital one week after birth, nursing. She has had no problems since. Kateri is active, normal and beautiful and such a joy in our family. We could not imagine life without her. She may require a slight reconstructive surgery later on, because the tumor was so large in comparison to her but then again she might not. We could not have been happier with the outcome or the manner in which Boston Children's Advanced Fetal Care Center handled the pregnancy, surgery, and recovery.

One last note, I discovered a few months ago, that my daughter's surgeon did a study on the difference in outcomes when a family receives counseling from and OB versus from a palaeontologist or other type of pediatrician. And this paper definitely seems to indicate that those who do only listen to the OB about poor prenatal diagnosis are more likely to terminate than those who seek another opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment